A Drive to Obudu

I joined my friends to spend this past weekend in Obudu town, headquarters of Obudu LGA in Cross River state, Nigeria. During our drive there from my hometown, Ogoja, where we had a stopover, two of my friends who had never been on that route kept complaining about the scrappy features of the road. But I kept quiet, because my mind was in a solemn mood due to our mission to Obudu. Their complaints got louder, when the sound of our friend’s car got hoarse, somewhere after Utugwang, a prominent clan on that route.

We arrived Obudu town only to realize that the car’s exhaust pot had dropped without our notice, we decided to drive back in search of the missing pot. My friends cursed the bumpy road throughout that frustrating search that turned fruitless. But I didn’t contribute to their lamentation because I felt that rather than blame the road, we should blame the supplier of my friend’s Toyota Highlander car for supplying him a car whose exhaust pot seems incapable of coping with the rugged features of roads in some parts of Nigeria and Cross River state, in particular.

How can such an important and conspicuous part of a car in motion drop and disappear, just like that? But this is exactly what happened. I know that if we and our leaders do the right things, the kind of roads that currently exist in most parts of Nigeria would be meant for tractors only, in the near future. Our children would only ply them on their way to farmlands.

When we finally returned to Obudu town, one of my friends asked where we could locate a supermarket, to buy some items we didn’t purchase on our way. But we were told that there is no supermarket in the entire Obudu town. Only kiosks exist there, according to our findings.

Our sources further told us that most shops in Obudu town close for business at the approach of dusk. They seldom open at night. Residents of that town live in fear of hoodlums and armed robbers, according to those sources. I should have reflected more about that unconfirmed report. But I saved my thoughts for another day. At that time, my mind was in a race to accomplish our mission to Obudu and head back to Ogoja, if possible.

As if we hadn’t seen and heard enough about the current situation in Obudu town, some residents of that area further told us that Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) has not supplied electricity to that town since the beginning of this year. That sounded strange. But I felt that it would sound even more strange, if PHCN has supplied electricity to that town or any other town in Cross River state everyday and every time, this year. To me, Obudu town is a mirror of Cross River state, in several respects.

In any case, I wasn’t in Obudu to assess the level of electricity supply from PHCN. That isn’t my job. Rather, my friends and I were in Obudu town to offer our condolences to our friend, Dr. Jude Ubua, who recently lost his elder sister, Mrs Perpetua Ubua (popularly known as Madam Glo). Mrs Ubua was gunned in Obudu town near her house, while driving on her way from mass on Holy Thursday. She died on Good Friday.

According to reports, her killers rode on a motorcycle. They disappeared from the scene, after accomplishing their mission. I wish they knew that nobody can disappear from the sight of God.

I pray that Perpetua’s soul should rest in peace, just as her killers should remain restless and miserable, except they surrender their lives to God. I also pray that God should grant the entire Ubua family the fortitude to bear this sad loss. I love Obudu and all my numerous friends from that area. We have all lost Perpetua together. Her death speaks to all of us.

According to unanimous reports, she was a peaceful and industrious woman who attracted lots of customers to her business in the telecom sector.

I pray that the people of Obudu should not also lose the amenities and characteristics that attracted lots of tourists and investors to that town, in previous years. The time to regain its fading pride and glory is now. I trust that they know that their son (our brother) would not be a Governor forever.

Also, I trust that our amiable brother knows this fact. He equally knows that charity begins at home. I agree that the entire state is now his home and charity has already begun in some parts of this state.

Nevertheless, it would be nice if “charity’s place of birth” equally experiences good rebirth.

• Cornelius Ellah

…………………..

42 Comments
Comments
Justin Akongmaye Obong
Justin Akongmaye Obong For Perpetua Ubua, may her gentle soul rest in the bosom of the Lord and my condolences goes my dear and amiable Dr. Jude Ubua.

For the bumpy rough road, don’t forget that Obudu is the hub of tourism and in tourism such roads are classified. When next you come visit us use trucks not Belgium cars so you won’t start blaming our roads and illustrious son.See More

· May 8 at 7:24am

Dennis Moluk replied · 1 Reply
Marycollette Matiki
Marycollette Matiki I guess you and your friends were not aware of the route from Bekwarra through Benue State to Obudu. For the sake of cars, most people use that road just like they use Ugep through Abomege/Abakaliki to Ogoja.

On the insecurity, it started fews ago. A See More

· May 8 at 7:36am

Marycollette Matiki replied · 2 Replies
Lucy Agba
Lucy Agba Well spoken my senior colleague and lecturer. At d governor’s Thanksgiving 2yrs ago he promised to my hearing that electricity was going to b restored to Obudu at most Christmas of 2015. I was impressed, to say I was disappointed when I visited Obudu DSee More

· May 8 at 7:44am

Lucky Ido
Lucky Ido Sir in the aspect of charity beginning at home i think the Governor took after his predecessor Imoke who did nothing in his local government till he left office. May the soul of the departed rest in peace.

· May 8 at 8:05am

Biddy Ukwayi
Biddy Ukwayi Oh Obudu land of my birth, what else would I say? But, for how are the mighty falling? I rest my case.

· May 8 at 8:17am

Gabriel Odey Awafung
Gabriel Odey Awafung Thanks Dear Cornell for your
visit to the ancient city of OBUDU. We all felt very bad at the cruel murder of our Sister Perpetua Ubua. We pray God to grant Her Soul a Perfect REST in Peace with Himself for ever.
We share in your sad experiences on See More

· May 8 at 8:23am

Cornelius Ellah replied · 1 Reply
Vincent Etta
Vincent Etta Sad,Sad very sad .Digital façade my vote is the power no more should we be fooled again by entrusting our hope on kids in men’s robes.Rip ma,welcome back ORACLE.

· May 8 at 8:50am

Don Ayim
Don Ayim Very intelligent narrative and sarcastic too. I liken this piece to a skurell who builds his friends house and allow his own house to be gutted by fire. Our brother is busy developing calabar and constructing superhighway and the road leading to his house is a mere cattle track. He. Is another Igbo Monjok

· May 8 at 8:58am

Gabe Ogar
Gabe Ogar I am lost for words my brother. God cannot do for us what he has already delegated to us to handle. Our people cried for a leader and we have one. Get was waiting for second tenure to act. Who PROMISE you tomorrow?. Whereas Whereas we have been forsaken that our life’s and properties taken, God will make ‘US ‘ an eternal excellency, a joy of many generations. God saves NC

· May 8 at 9:10am

Odu Godwin Achine
Odu Godwin Achine No Wonder, it’s now clear to me why one of the elder a kingsman from the this parts of northern cross river made a statement in 2003. That “nobody from the north that is matured for Governorship.” One thing our brother should Rene is that opportunity comes but once,also you can’t eat your cake and still have it.

· May 8 at 9:16am

Sunny Idams

· May 8 at 9:53am

Tony Eneji
Tony Eneji Well spoken my bros, well for those who hide behind the fact that they benefit from the system or have a stake in the system nd see nothing wrong in the failure of governance in the state its unfortunate because the decay in social amenities nd infrastSee More

· May 8 at 10:22am

Mc Olugah
Mc Olugah My brother Cornell, I truly respect your Masterpiece and admire your delivery but kindly permit me to disagree with the sacarsm.I m not holding brief for His Excellency prof. (Sen) Ben Ayade as I m not an appointee neither is my name on his payroll.ElSee More

· May 8 at 11:21am

Mc Olugah replied · 2 Replies
Ogbedu Wuyieloyie
Ogbedu Wuyieloyie Nice write-up.

· May 8 at 12:14pm

Steve Omagu
Steve Omagu My sincere condolences to Dr Jude and family. As for the bad roads it is quite sad…but wait ooo, what happened to the saying, “charity begins at home”? Be of good cheer Gov super highway will fix it. Hahaha.

· May 8 at 1:41pm

Nkasi Friday
Nkasi Friday Your write up are always well tailored and explicit. But the question is do people really appreciate this noble effort? My personal answer is no!, because no changes in attitudes from Jan- Dec. Keep writing bro! One day! The bird will look for a nesting place.

· May 8 at 2:42pm

Kingsley Agim
Kingsley Agim Sir, I’ve also been to Obudu a few times.
And one of those times, I spent a night there.
I slept with my eyes open because the night was pinch-hit with sporadic gun shots.See More

· May 8 at 3:13pm

Justus Okey
Justus Okey Cornel each time I read your posts, memories of my literature classroom become so fresh. You made literature lovable and attractive. We all longed to speak and write like you, in my own case, I became more fascinated with the mysteries of science laterSee More

· May 8 at 4:06pm · Edited

Bassey Uso
Bassey Uso Ellah I saw the miraculous pot at Biase someone was using it to fry Garri.

· May 8 at 4:31pm

Cornelius Ellah replied · 1 Reply
Tom Iy Obol
Tom Iy Obol My condolences go to Mrs Ubua’s family for her untimely death; but without mincing words sir, the entire CRS is in a total mess no matter how ethnic politicians may paint the governor’s critics. The insecurity in the entire state is unprecedented, theSee More

· May 8 at 4:31pm

Cornelius Ellah
Cornelius Ellah Justus Okey, thanks for the compliment. You and your twin sister, Justina, were among my best students at that time. When I taught you, I had just graduated from the university and my interaction with your class was my first experience in teaching. I aSee More

· May 8 at 4:44pm

Justus Okey

· May 8 at 5:38pm

Joe Ekpang
Joe Ekpang Cornel, great and complex write up. Hope they will note this appropriately

· May 8 at 5:52pm

Cornelius Ellah replied · 1 Reply
Emeka Ategwu
Emeka Ategwu Good piece. Cheers and tanx. How I wished our son will have the opportunity to read this post.

· May 8 at 5:56pm

Cornelius Ellah replied · 1 Reply
Innocent Echendu
Innocent Echendu Great piece.That’s creativity.A good one.

· May 9 at 12:03am

Oshega Abang
Oshega Abang Cornel! Cornel Ellah. God is listening along side those who have ears and those who can read between lines

· May 9 at 5:57am

Kingsley Okon
Kingsley Okon Cornel good piece,methinks u should join us in print media

· May 9 at 6:56am

Akiba Ekpenyong
Akiba Ekpenyong Killing an asset of that magnitude? Damn.

· May 9 at 7:01am

Samuel Ekanem
Samuel Ekanem Well articulated and the message is clear. I hail you

· May 9 at 7:27am

Etim Bassey
Etim Bassey Thanks my beloved lecturer. Though you taught me in 1995-1997.I Praise you for your piece. You simply nailed it. Politics is all about changing the lives of the majority. I was listening to completed and on going projects by governor Udom Emanuel of Akwa ibom state. The time for action is now. Thanks for the piece

· May 9 at 9:21am

Francis Angrey
Francis Angrey Between Saturday and yesterday, I drove on that road twice. On Saturday, I went to Bansara-Ekajuk for the burial of one of our CMO members, Mr. Donatus Egobor. After the burial, I drove back to Obudu that evening. Yesterday, I took the same road on my See More

· May 9 at 10:17am

Cornelius Ellah replied · 1 Reply
Samuel Owoedimoh Ekpuk
Samuel Owoedimoh Ekpuk Governance on vacation

· May 9 at 10:59am

Sunny Odey
Sunny Odey Rational logic. You made uncommon sense…

· May 9 at 11:13am

Cornelius Ellah replied · 1 Reply
Mark Orim
Mark Orim Pally, this is a well crafted piece. I hope your message gets to the appropriate quarters. I refuse to be political about my understanding of this message. But, you have given our political elites and assignment. My heart felt sympathy to DR Jude.

· May 9 at 1:16pm

Nyong Bassey
Nyong Bassey A word is enough for the wise.

· May 9 at 5:40pm

Andy Adeshi
Andy Adeshi Unique delivery and a wise counsel for those who have ears to hear n can understand between lines. Its a win win situation if THE advice is taken. Awesome piece once again.

· May 9 at 11:06pm · Edited

Tony Ngbe
Tony Ngbe My concern is not whether they fail to notce the terrible state of the road but whether they(politicians) are content with their failure

· May 10 at 7:56pm

Cletus Abang
Cletus Abang sir your comments on obudu and obudu town inter-streets being dusty are full with exaggerations. l drove to obudu feb. 28th this year and some construction work are going on along road and streets in obudu town are well tarred.

· Reply · May 10 at 8:09pm

Cornelius Ellah
Cornelius Ellah Cletus Abang, kindly state exactly where my post described obudu and the streets of that town as dusty. In the absence of such proof of your claim, I submit that if my post is full of exaggerations as you have stated, then your understanding of my unbiased comment is flowing with biased understanding and prejudice.

· May 10 at 9:04pm · Edited

Eno Odiong
Eno Odiong Hmm…much food for thought. My condolences on the sad loss of your friend’s sister.

· May 10 at 11:16pm

Bishop Efiom
Bishop Efiom Cornel, thanks for reminding us of “the poverty of statesmanship ” as we grope in the dark alleys of showmanship. It’s a sad commentary.

· Reply · 2 hrs

Francis Ugbor Ututu
Francis Ugbor Ututu My big bross thanks for thath nice pice , it is god thath will help us in c , r .s